This talk by Dr Helen Snee (University of Manchester) raises interesting issues regarding the qualitative analysis of blog data-sets. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-iBE-CLg2k.
- Rich data sources to be had from blogs and other social media
- Gain ‘spontaneous’ (unmediated) narratives which can be compared with more formal follow-up interviews
- Consider sampling strategy at research design stage
- Text analysis tools (Atlas? http://www.atlasti.com/index.html Student Licence £65 for two years)
- Challenges: methodological and ethical (informed consent)
Bibliographic link from talk: Hodkinson, P. (2007), ‘Interactive Online Journals and Individualisation, New Media and Society, 9 (4).